Y For All – Financial Assistance Program
The YMCA of Martha’s Vineyard is a non-profit charitable organization committed to building strong communities, families, and individuals. We believe no one should be denied membership or program participation due to financial circumstances. Financial assistance is made possible through charitable donations to our scholarship fund, and is granted based on the need demonstrated by household income and/or extenuating circumstances. Each application is reviewed on an individual basis; scholarship is awarded as a percent off total membership or program cost. We strongly encourage you to visit the Y to see how our scholarship program can help you and your family live a healthier life.
What is financial assistance?
YMCA financial assistance provides for the needs of youth, families and individuals who cannot afford the full cost of YMCA memberships and programs. The YMCA is committed to being accessible to all, and works hard to support those who may be in challenging financial situations.
The YMCA of Martha’s Vineyard makes every effort to ensure that no person, especially youth, will be denied access to programs because of financial hardship. Our Financial Assistance Program is supported by contributions to our annual Scholarship campaign.
How is the amount of financial assistance determined?
We use a sliding fee scale based on total household income and the number of household members. We require supporting documentation to verify household size and income, and we consider special circumstances when providing assistance.
How long does my financial assistance last?
- For child care participants, financial assistance is granted through the next August 31st.
- For applicants on a fixed income, including those receiving Social Security Income or Disability, financial assistance is granted for up to two years from the award date.
- For all other applicants, financial assistance is granted for up to one calendar year from the award date.
How long does it take to begin receiving financial assistance?
After we receive your completed application and proper documentation, your application will be reviewed within 7 to 14 days. You will be contacted by phone regarding the status of you application, including information on your financial assistance award for YMCA membership and programs and how to begin receiving the reduced rates.
How is confidential information handled?
Only YMCA staff will see your application. Applications are kept confidential and are not used for any other purpose than to assess program needs.
How do I apply?
- Visit the Member Service Desk for an application
- Complete and sign the Financial Assistance Application.
- Gather all proper documentation with your Application. Your Financial Assistance Application cannot be processed without supporting documentation. Submitting an incomplete application will delay your award.
- Submit your Financial Assistance Application to Member Service Desk.
How do I make a donation to the Scholarship Fund?
If you are interested in making a donation to our Scholarship Campaign, please click here.
Your tax-deductible contribution to the YMCA Annual Scholarship Campaign is a great investment in your community because it helps those who need it most–potentially your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.